If you are organising your own wedding, an effective checklist is a must-have to ensure that everything is completed as necessary and in the correct and logical order.
What to Do First
The first thing you must do once you have proposed marriage and told the family and friends, the next things to do are:
- Choose if you would like a Church or non-Church wedding
- Choose your two witnesses over the age of 18
If you will be married in a Church you will need to speak with the priest or pastor to book your wedding date, and to find out what you should do next.
If you would like a non-Church wedding – the next things to do are:
- Choose and book your Marriage Solemniser/Celebrant
- Choose and book your Wedding venue
For either a Church or non-Church wedding – your next steps are:
- Book your appointment to lodge your Notification of Intention to Marry with the HSE
- Take out wedding insurance in the case of unforeseen events which might prevent your wedding proceeding on the date booked.
Once you have done the above you are ready to do the following (if you haven’t already) in no particular order:
- Choose your bridal party
( if applicable, not all couples choose to have a bridal party )
- Find and book each of your wedding suppliers who will provide with all the essential services for your big day.
- Wedding Rings/Jeweller
- Wedding Cake
- Dresses / Suits
- Ceremony singer or musician(s)
- Catering if applicable
- Decor Hire/Decorator/Set Designer
- Novelty items eg. Photobooth, Candy Cart etc.
Once you have chosen and booked your wedding suppliers, create a contact list of their names along with their contact details and have it in a handy place at all times, so you can consult your suppliers at any time with necessary questions.
Hen / Stag Party
If you will be having hen and stag parties you can organise those at any time.